Saturday, June 29, 2013

Customer Service

So today was market day. Saturday mornings around here mean the Peterborough Farmers Market is a must visit. I have been going there for over 40 years and during that time you find your favourite vendors. I dragged kids there over the years, bribing them with cookies to fill my belly with fresh produce.

One of my favourite vendors is the potato lady and her son. She has been filling bags of potatoes for over 60 years at the market. For fresh corn I have visited Stapleton's for years. Always with a great smile and terrific corn and he has a certain salesmanship about him I like.

Well, now the next generation is helping at the stand. His 9(?) yr old daughter was helping out this morning. As she took the basket of peas I had chosen and put them in the bag several pods fell off to the side. My mind immediately went to that place...sure now I will get less peas. (Like I really need each and every one) but this young lady has been well trained by her dad in customer service.

Without missing a beat or even noticing my look she immediately picked up a whole HANDFUL of peas and added them to the bag! 

Now that is knowing your customer and treating them right! I looked at her and said " how many times has your dad told you that was important?" She just smiled and said "about a million". I chuckled and then thought how often do we miss the opportunity to treat our customers so well? 

Next time I wonder if going the extra mile for a client is worth it, I will remember a nine yr old's lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment